Tuesday, May 14, 2013

May Monster Madness: Where the Wild Things Are



For the next week here, and across over 50 40 blogs, we will be celebrating monsters in all their gory glory. (Linky's at the bottom of this post).

First off, a shout out to the May Monster Madness Hosts:
Annie Wallsr
Something Wicked This Way Comes

I couldn't do a monster hop without talking about one of my first introductions to monsters, and a life time love of mine, Where the Wild Things Are



Many children of my generation grew up with this book. It's incredibly simply, yet totally magical story told on vividly illustrated pages transcended beyond words that could be spoken or written. 


Imagine my glee/apprehension when I discovered it was to be made into a movie back in 2009. I was uber excited to see how a film adaptation would pan out, but also afraid that Hollywood would -once again- destroy a beloved childhood experience of mine.


Although the movie was not what people expected it to be, I adore it. I think the thing that made me the most happy was the choice to use puppets rather than CGI for the wild things. The decision created magnificent creatures that made the films imagery truly stunning. 



The film tapped into the whimsy of sailing away to a world filled with creatures as wild and frantic as we often feel while exploring the very real emotions and devastation of feeling out of control. 


I remember going to see the film my sister and her children. At the end of the film, my sister held her daughter in her lap and they both sat there and bawled. I was touched by what a power piece Spike Jonzes created in his adaptation of one of my childhood favorites.

So that ends my gushing for today, but check back throughout the week as I venture through other monsters/ monster movies/ and monster makers that I love.

Also, be sure to stop by the other participants blogs. I know I'm excited to see what everyone will be writing about this week!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...