Saturday, May 11, 2013

May Monster Madness: When I Think of Monsters...


Ever since the days of Satan vs. God, humanity has had an obsession with monsters. Some of us outgrow this at the age where we realize that the shadows in the closet are, in fact, shadows. Some of us- like me -never believed that nonsense about the crap in the closet just being shadows.

For the next week here, and across over 40 blogs, we will be celebrating monsters in all their gory glory. (Linky's at the bottom of this post).

First off, a shout out to the May Monster Madness Hosts:

Annie Wallsr


When it comes to the world of monsters, one of the first names that comes to mind is Tim Burton. His zanny, lovable freak shows graced my youth as background noise, only coming to light after the release of Sleepy Hollow  (when I was about 13).

Already a fan of the original Sleepy Hollow Legend, I finagled my way into getting my brother and my dad to take me to see this. Considering that the film is rated R,and at that age I really wasn't allowed to watch such things, I think my brother may have played a greater role in convincing my parents to let me see it than I gave him credit for.

Even though Tim Burton's version of Sleepy Hollow totally turned the legend on it's head, because that's Tim Burton and that's what he does, I still fell in love with it.

Burton's vision of Ichabod Crane as an early forensic scientist, haunted by the memories of his mother's affair with witch craft and his father's swift punishment of her sins opened the story up for fantastic, if gory, opportunities.



As always in Tim Burton films, Sleepy Hollow was chocked full of breath taking imagery and art. The film truly hosted a world unto itself where anything was possible.





And the monster of film? While traditionally the legend has a headless horsemen at the helm of all the evil, Burton's re-envisioning took on a slightly different approach. The headless horsemen still carried out the heinous deeds of decapitation...

But the real monster was the person who owned his head, the person who drove him to do her twisted bidding.

For those who haven't seen the film, that's as far as I'll go with spoilers. And for those who have seen it, you already know who I'm talking about :)

So that ends my gushing for today, but check back throughout the week as I venture through other monsters/ monster movies/ and monster makers that I love.
Also, be sure to stop by the other participants blogs. I know I'm excited to see what everyone will be writing about this week!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...