Wednesday, May 15, 2013

May Monster Madness: I Wish The Goblins Would Take You Away


For the next week here, and across over 50 40 blogs, we will be celebrating monsters in all their gory glory. (Linky's at the bottom of this post).

First off, a shout out to the May Monster Madness Hosts:
Annie Wallsr
Something Wicked This Way Comes

When I was little we watched a lot of The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth.I still watch these films whenever I have a good excuse too :)



Another planet, another time. 1000 years ago the Dark Crystal was damaged by one of the Urskeks and an age of chaos began. Now the time of the great conjunction of the three suns is near. If the crystal is not healed now the control of the evil Skekses will last forever. Jen the last of the Gelflings nearly exterminated by monsters controlled by the Skekses starts his dangerous journey to find the missing shard of the crystal. Will he be able to heal the crystal and restore order on the planet? (Written by Matthias Scheler. Gotten off of IMDB)










15-year-old Sarah accidentally wishes her baby half-brother, Toby, away to the Goblin King Jareth who will keep Toby if Sarah does not complete his Labyrinth in 13 hours. (from IMDB)






These films both come from the genius that is Jim Henson (yes, the guy who did the Muppets) with creature designs by Brian Froud

For those of you who aren't as big of a Brian Froud geek as I am, here is some of his non-movie work.


From Good Faeries/ Bad Faeries
**As a random piece of trivia, Brian Froud's son was actually the baby in Labyrinth.  

Back to the movies...

These films share a unique style that I have yet to meet the rival of. I'm about to hit you guys with a bunch of pictures.

The Dark Crystal:

The Dark Crystal's main Characters (right) Kira (left) Jen
The master of the Mystics (who raised Jen)
The evil (and seriously freaky looking) Skeksis
And who could forget Aughra? (For those who don't
know, Aughra is one of the good guys)
Skeksis still freak me out. What's more, I've met a few people who physically reminded me of skeksis. Once you have that image in your head it doesn't go away. 

Labyrinth: 

This is the movie where the title of my post came from. Sarah's one foolish wish launches her into a world full of things like this...

The ragtag group of monsters that help Sarah beat the labyrinth 
Ludo gets his own picture because he's Ludo and I love him.
The pit full of "helping hands"
These guys just want to have some fun...taking Sarah's head off and playing
catch with it. 
The goblin hoard.
The Goblin King himself, played by David Bowie in extremely tight pants. 
I couldn't do a post mentioning Labyrinth and not leave you with this little jewel. 


So that ends my gushing for today, but check back throughout the week as I venture through other monsters/ monster movies/ and monster makers that I love.

Also, be sure to stop by the other participants blogs. I know I'm excited to see what everyone will be writing about this week!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...