Wednesday, April 10, 2013

J is Jason and the Argonauts and Mythology in General #challenge #atozchallenge

I grew up watching Jason and the Argonauts and Clash of the Titans. The old ones, not their disappointing remakes. 


I blame these films for my love of mythology. And possibly my ability to be totally cool with stop motion. 

Back in it's day, it was awesome
Characters in mythology were always so much better than the rest. These guys could traverse heaven and hell without breaking a sweat.

Of course, in my childhood I didn't know the full stories. I only knew what was in the movies. The hero would beat all the bad guys, get the girl, and it'd all be good.

Jason in the Argonauts is a good example of how misleading these tellings were. In the real story, Jason messed around on Medea (the girl he works the whole movie to get). Distraught, Medea kills her children as revenge on Jason.

Many such myths end in tragic and twisted ways. However, these are some the first stories and characters ever written ever,so today I give props to them. Rock on Jason. Perceus and Zeus. May your disturbing tales forever be told.


Commenters:

If you're a new follower, please let me know so I can follow your blog back. Please either use the commentluv feature or leave me a link to your blog. Not all methods of commenting necessarily leave me a way to get to your blog, and do like to check out your work. 

A Few Random AtoZ Blogs:

Because the AtoZ participants list is so massive, I don't include it here. However, I would like to give some love to my fellow bloggers, so I thought I'd pick a couple of random blogs to link to that y'all can check out at your discretion.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...