Monday, April 8, 2013

G is for Gold: A Lesson in Villains #challenge #atozchallenge

I'm a huge fan of ABC's Once Upon a Time. I even did a post about it for last year's AtoZ. 


The story is a twist on fairy tales. The evil queen from the Snow White story (who is known as Regina in the show) casts a curse that brings all the fairy tale characters to a small town in Maine where time is frozen forever and no one remembers who they really are. But a prophecy was told by Rumpelstiltskin that in her 28th year, the child of Snow White and her Prince Charming would break the curse.  


I think this sentiment makes my point quite nicely
Mr. Gold is the name Rumpelstiltskin takes on in Storybrooke. Almost every character has an alternate name. As the story progresses, we learn that Rumpelstiltskin has manufactured everything so he can find his son. His son fled to a world without magic after becoming horrified with how magic changed his father. It's obviously more complicated than that, but I'm going for simple explanations right now.. 

Rumpelstiltskin/ Gold wrote the curse and groomed Regina to enact it. On the other hand, his actions helped ensure that Snow White and Prince Charming got together in the first place and his further influence helps the curse to be broken.  

Behind every choice the characters make and every major event is Mr. Gold directing the chaos. With that in mind, the audience should hate him. But I don't, in fact, most people I talk to love him. As many tough spots as he backs the other characters into, he gets them out of. There's been many a day where he was the hero.

To counter balance Mr. Gold's role as villain, there's Regina. However, in her actions there's pain that the show goes through great depths to share with the audience. After a few hard knocks, she tries for redemption, she fails, returns to her old ways and then her adoptive son (who also happens to be Snow White's biological grandson) pulls her back out of it. 

There's a great play in the show as to who the real villain is. At times Regina will be causing trouble, other times Rumpelstiltskin is to blame. Sometimes the two work together to make evil, other times they work together to stop it, and often they go head to head. 

I think it's brilliant the way the two play off of each other,and it creates an ethical question within the audience members. When there two forces of evil fighting each other,who do you hope wins? 

I find myself going back and forth on who I'm rooting for, which is just a stunning play on villainy.  It's so much more than just hoping the good guys will win.  The characters are so tied into each other that the villains have to have their victories, it just depends on the day as to whether or not that's a good thing. 

Commenters:

If you're a new follower, please let me know so I can follow your blog back. Please either use the commentluv feature or leave me a link to your blog. Not all methods of commenting necessarily leave me a way to get to your blog, and do like to check out your work. 

A Few Random AtoZ Blogs:

Because the AtoZ participants list is so massive, I don't include it here. However, I would like to give some love to my fellow bloggers, so I thought I'd pick a couple of random blogs to link to that y'all can check out at your discretion.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...