Saturday, April 6, 2013

F is for Faramir: A Character of Purity #challenge #atozchallenge

Talking about his character from the book, using
his picture from the movie. Trust me, you don't
want me using the fan art I found. 
Today I'm talking about Faramir as he was originally written in the Lord of the Rings books, not as he was in the movie adaptation. I didn't feel Peter Jackson gave him a fair shake. It's my opinion that Peter Jackson realized what a jerk he was screwing Faramir up, and that's why he tried to give Faramir more motivation for his ass hat move trying to take the ring by adding scenes about his past into the extended editions.

Just an example as to how Faramir actually handled the temptation of the ring:

"But fear no more! I would not take this thing, if it lay by the highway. Not were Minas Tirith falling in ruin and I alone could save her, so, using the weapon of the Dark Lord for her good and my glory. No, I do not wish for such triumphs, Frodo son of Drogo." (Return of the King)

Easier thing would've been to stick with what was originally there. But Hollywood will never learn...

I'm going to go ahead and talk about Faramir like everyone knows who I'm talking about because Lord of the Rings is popular enough that this should be the case.



An interesting tidbit I found about Faramir on Wikipedia:

In The History of The Lord of the Rings series Christopher Tolkien described that his father had not foreseen the emergence of Faramir during the writing of the book, only inventing him at the actual point of his appearance in The Two Towers.[1] J. R. R. Tolkien noted that the introduction of Faramir had led to postponement of the book's dénouement and to further development of the background for Gondor and Rohan.[2] Long after completing The Lord of the Rings, Tolkien would write that of all characters Faramir resembles the author most, and that he had deliberately bestowed upon the character several traits of his own.

The reason I chose to talk about Faramir today is because he's one of only three characters who hold a piece of my heart. There are many characters that I love and think are awesome, but for these three, the relationship runs deeper. It has something to do with how heart breaking they are.

Faramir has a tough shake. His father is slightly mad and shows greater favor to his brother Boromir, but Faramir holds no ill will towards either men for this. In fact, he approaches both men with great love and esteem. Even when his father goes mad over the death of Boromir and almost sets Faramir on fire he doesn't hold it against him.

Tolkien said of Faramir:

He read the hearts of men as shrewdly as his father, but what he read moved him sooner to pity than to scorn. He was gentle in bearing, and a lover of lore and of music, and therefore by many in those days his courage was judged less than his brother's. But it was not so, except that he did not seek glory in danger without a purpose. (Return of the King 1955, Appendix A: I (iv))

No matter what happens to Faramir, he remains selfless, brave and true. That's why I love him so much.

What characters hold your heart?

Commenters:

If you're a new follower, please let me know so I can follow your blog back. Please either use the commentluv feature or leave me a link to your blog. Not all methods of commenting necessarily leave me a way to get to your blog, and do like to check out your work. 

A Few Random AtoZ Blogs:

Because the AtoZ participants list is so massive, I don't include it here. However, I would like to give some love to my fellow bloggers, so I thought I'd pick a couple of random blogs to link to that y'all can check out at your discretion.

  • World of My Imagination
  • Yes, Virginia, There is Life after Retirement: Though sometimes the 'Golden Years' seem more like tarnished brass, they are not the end of adventure. I invite you to follow me as I transcend from full-time government employee to full-time life observer. I'll cover life, government, travel, food, gardening, whatever crosses my path.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...