Friday, April 5, 2013

E is for Elora: Vanguard Legacy: Foretold by Joanne Kershaw Review #challenge #atozchallenge #VLFlaunch

About the Book: 

Vanguard Recruit Elora Walker doesn’t know who demands more of her: her mother, or herself. But more than she wants to make Nina proud of her, she wants to know the truths buried deep in their mutual past. Haunted by the memory of her long-dead father, tormented by a psychic link to a faceless stranger, Elora learns to rely upon her friends and her newfound warrior skills to protect not only the Ignari from Dark Seekers, but the world from an ancient family secret that can destroy it.

Buy the Book:  


I signed on for the release party for this book which happens to fall on the letter E day, and the main character happens to have a name starting with E, so I'm combining everything. Mostly out of laziness.

My Review:


I was totally drawn in by the cover for this book. I mean, look at it, it's gorgeous! And yes, I do judge a book by it's cover, so writers, don't get skimpy when it comes to the very first impression anyone will ever have of your story. 

I'm glad that I chose to review this one though, as a very much so enjoyed it. 

The story is told from first person perspective engaging the reader straight away with the main character, Elora, telling the story as a letter to her child. Early on we know that Elora is special and her life will take many dark turns before the story is over.

I'm not really a big fan of first person perspective. In this case, however, with the story being told as something that's already happened, it works. 

Since I'm not big on rambly reviews, I'll skip to the bullet points.

  • The story is engaging and well paced.
  • The characters are likable and Elora is a character that a reader can care about.
  • The bad guys were a bit campy, but that's also because I really don't care for vampires or exhibitional speaking. I realize that in first person perspective it's necessary for the bad guys to spill the beans about what their big end game is, but it's still not my favorite way to have the antagonist approached. 
All in all, if you're a fan of fantasy and/or strong female characters, I highly recommend this book. 

As a tie in for my AtoZ character theme, today I'm asking how everyone feels about characters who tell the story in first person. I've noticed it rising in popularity and am curious as to all y'all's opinions.

You can join the Facebook release party HERE. I've been told there will be prizes and whatnot. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...