Thursday, April 4, 2013

D is for Donovan, Claudia: Creating a Character That Everyone Loves #challenge #atozchallenge

For those of you unaware of Syfy series Warehouse 13, first off you're missing out on an awesome show, secondly (because I'm nice and all) I'll give you a short introduction so you can understand the character I'm using as an example today.

img source wikia.com
Warehouse 13 is a Eureka off shoot. The plot centers around a warehouse full of "artifacts", items infused with special abilities, and the agents who keep it going. Basically every episode there's a new artifact wreaking havoc and the agents have to go neutralize it and bring it back to the warehouse for safe keeping.

Claudia joins the cast a couple of episodes in, after making herself a nuisance as an anonymous hacker trying to pinpoint the warehouse's location. She kidnaps the warehouses head agent (Artie) whom she blames for the disappearance of her brother when she was a child.

Long story short, they manage to get her brother back and Claudia continues to hang around the warehouse- since she really doesn't have a life because she's spent this whole time obsessed with helping her missing brother and all. Eventually she's made an official part of the warehouse team and happy audience members everywhere get to see her every episode.



So, what makes Claudia so lovable? It's a mix bag of tricks that makes her endearing. First off, she's brilliant, she can hack pretty much anything and if it has to do with computers or electronics in general she'll make it her bitch. Secondly, even though she's sharp as a tack,  a lot of her decisions are made with her heart.

Another aspect of Claudia is her ability to make mistakes. Something I've been seeing a lot is a character discovers a new ability and has like a two second learning curve. Suddenly they're all, "I'm the best psychic/ vampire/ fallen angel ever". In order for a character to properly shine, they need to develop over time and allow for the audience to grow with them. Even though Claudia is a genius, she's been pron to her stupid mistakes that make her believable.

So, quick review:
  • Layers make a character better
  • Struggling makes a character that people can identify with
  • Abilities have to develop over time
Commenters:

If you're a new follower, please let me know so I can follow your blog back. Please either use the commentluv feature or leave me a link to your blog. Not all methods of commenting necessarily leave me a way to get to your blog, and do like to check out your work. 

A Few Random AtoZ Blogs:

Because the AtoZ participants list is so massive, I don't include it here. However, I would like to give some love to my fellow bloggers, so I thought I'd pick a couple of random blogs to link to that y'all can check out at your discretion.


  • azia said what?: A blog by Azia Archer
  • Raising Twins: I hope to share my experience raising twins. The trials, tribulations, good times, bad times, hard times, and how life is when sleep is off the table. I have learned a lot and wish that I had someone who could have shared with me some of the things I hope to share with anyone who is interested. I will cover development issues, education, personality, relationships, how to love both differently at the same time, how to hear over the noise. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...