Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Every Writer Does it and it Drives me Nuts! #IWSG



In the Inheritance Cycle, Christopher Paolini constantly used the word gullet. People could never put something in their mouth, or just or drink something. It all went in their gullet.

In another recent read I will leave unnamed, the characters always, "cut eyes" at each other. I'm not sure I even know what that's supposed to mean.

In every romance book ever, the lovers gaze, look longingly or gaze longingly at each other. Just once I'd like to pick up a book and have the misunderstood bad boy give the sweet natured new girl a wonky eyed look that says, "I wanna sex you up".

You know I'm right. Every single one of you has suffered through a book where the characters always saunter everywhere they go or exclaim everything that they say.

Sometimes I want to take words away from people who can't figure out how to use them properly! 

Alas, I too am a writer. This means I too over use words or phrases. I two I'm guilty of over using are "anyhow" and "like". I also used "seemed" a lot, or I'll team them up, "seemed like". Cursed similes!

Oh well, it's a process. After I pick my self up from the beat down a good critique partner will give me, I go back and fix it. The important part is going back and fixing it.

I can't say it enough, DON'T LET YOUR BOOK GO TO PUBLISHING WITH ERRORS IN IT! Seriously y'all. There are people like me out there that will tear it apart.

P.S. I love the Inheritance books, that gullet crap just drives me bonkers.

What writing hiccups do you struggle with?

Have you ever noticed repeatedly using the same words or phrases?

What books have you read that have been tainted by the repetition issue?

I don't ask questions a lot, but ALWAYS enjoy a good comment!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...