Monday, January 21, 2013

Zeus, Inc. Review @sunriserobin

Wow guys, sorry it's been all business lately. I may have bit off more than I can chew, but I've been loving getting into all of these great books and working with so many amazing authors.

I promise more of my usual type posts to come in the future.

Onto the actual point, Zeus, Inc. by Robin Burks:

I'd like to thank Robin for providing me a copy of her book and the opportunity to review it!

50 years ago, Zeus, Inc., and its CEO, the mysterious Joseph Brentwood, saved the world from a major energy crisis by discovering a new unlimited energy resource. Now, in 2069, Mr. Brentwood has gone missing and private eye Alex Grosjean has been hired to find him by his daughter (and Alex's best friend), Aleisha. 

Black-outs begin to occur all over the world and somehow Alex believes it's tied to Mr. Brentwood's disappearance. Her search leads her through her own murky past and into the fantastical depths of Hell itself, where she discovers that Mr. Brentwood is not who or what he seems to be. With the help of an otherworldly man named Pip, 

Alex must save both Mr. Brentwood and the world. But will she be able to face her own guilty past in order to do it?
(summery courtesy amazon.com)

My Review:
To be honest I had some difficulty getting into this book. I can't put my thumb on exactly what it is though.

Here's the deal: I like the main character. The story is told in first person (which can be really tricky) so as the reader you get the feel of Alex pretty well. She's a P.I., she's good at her job and she's unique. 

Too often authors trying to create a strong female character think they need to have said character always tough talking and picking fights. Alex is genuine in her interactions and is most certainly vulnerable without being a complete wuss. Kudos to Robin for writing a well round main character!

I think one of the problems I may have had is that the books starts with what is a vaguely futuristic world that doesn't really feel futuristic.  This is a common issue with first person narratives  too often as the reader I'm told how things are, but I don't get a chance to connect with this world on my own terms. 

There's a possibility that I'm just a major pain in the butt when it comes to this stuff; as always, y'all are welcome to take my opinions with a grain of salt. 

One of the good things about Zeus, Inc. is the pacing. You're thrown into the action fairy quick, and once it gets going it picks up the speed. This is no bunny hill of a story :) 

When I last looked, Zeus, Inc. was only $2.99. You can get a free digital autograph too, which is super cool! 
About the Author:

Robin Burks is a person of multiple talents. Not only does she own a web development studio, Bad Karma Studios, but she also has a small online music promotions company, Sunrise Promotions. Writing, though, is her passion. She is currently a feature writer for DVICE.com and RantGaming.com, as well as writing for her own site FanGirlConfessions.com.

Robin has just published her first novel: Zeus, Inc.

An internet addict, she can often be found on Facebook, Twitter and Google+. She also loves to read (obviously), act, sing, play video games and travel.

Robin currently lives in Missouri with her four cats. She also occasionally speaks French and loves Doctor Who.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robin-Burks/208964945892113
Twitter: @sunriserobin
Google+: https://plus.google.com/104187496644597505395/posts
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6427462.Robin_Burks
Website: http://www.robin-burks.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...