Wednesday, January 2, 2013

#IWSG It's Complicated




Albert Einstein said, "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction".

Lately I've come to realize that I've been that intelligent fool. I think that's why I have yet to finish my book. Well, make that books. 

I have several first drafts sitting around. The Changeling Boy actually has like 4 or 5 drafts. For the past year or so I haven't been able to move past the rewrites of chapter one though. 
Recently I was reading an epic fantasy novel and I became completely overwhelmed. Each chapter was about a new character, there were terms I kept having to flip to the glossary for. I think this sort of thing is almost common in many epic fantasies. Anyway, I realized that feeling of being overwhelmed is exactly what's kept me from writing for so long.

At like 3:00 in the morning I got up and rewrote chapter one. This time, I made it simpler  I'm not sure it's any good. It's certainly more readable though. 

So, the lesson learned: Simpler is better

Have any of you run across this problem?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...