Saturday, August 18, 2012

#Author Interview: @CarlPurdon

My apologizes for this post going up late. Good old summer black outs have been having with my computer.

Today I have Carl Purdon here to talk a little about writing and his book The Night Train.

A little about Carl Purdon:

Carl Purdon lives in Pontotoc, Mississippi with his wife and two of their four children. Pontotoc is halfway between Tupelo, which is the birthplace of Elvis, and Oxford, which was the home of William Faulkner. Since he can’t sing, he writes. Since he’s not an expert on anything in particular, he writes fiction. In February 2012 he released his debut novel, The Night Train, as a Kindle e-book. In April 2012 he released the paperback. He is currently working on his second novel, which is as yet untitled, and hopes for a December release.


1. What first interested you in writing? 
The interest has always been there. One of my earliest childhood memories is of me standing in my front yard with words in my head that I didn’t know how to put to paper because I had not yet started school. Poems just seemed to pop into my head when I least expected it. Somewhere along the way I read a book from the school library and knew I wanted to have my own books in print someday. My greatest dream is to write at least one novel that people will still be reading a hundred years from now. I’ve wanted that for so long I honestly don’t know when it started. 

2. What is your favorite book and why? 
There is something inside me that refuses to allow me to pick a favorite anything. I don’t have a favorite color, favorite food, or favorite song. Whenever someone asks me what my favorite color is I tend to say yellow, because it’s easier than explaining why I don’t have one. It may sound a bit weird, but I’ve also thought declaring something a favorite denies you at least some enjoyment of the ones you didn’t pick. Of course my favorite book is The Night Train, because I wrote it and it’s my only release thus far, but I assume you didn’t intend to let me off that easily, so I’ll list a few (sticking to fiction) that I really enjoyed. In no particular order: The Pioneers, by James Fenimore Cooper because of its rich prose and incredible descriptive scenes. Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo because of the heart wrenching story. The Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck because it taught me that human struggle is a universal force to be reckoned with. There. I managed to turn a simple question into a conundrum. 

3. If you meet your favorite fiction character, who would it be and what would you do? 
Without belaboring my absence of favorites again, I’d have to say it would be Randle Patrick McMurphy, and I’d help him escape the cuckoo’s nest. 

4. What one piece of advice would you give to aspiring authors? 
Read. Write YOUR story, not what someone else tells you will sell. Never stop aspiring. Publication isn’t the end of the road. Always aspire to make the next novel better than the ones before it. And remember, we all have that voice inside us that tells us we don’t have what it takes. That voice is what checks our ego and pushes us to make our manuscript better. It’s the writers who have never heard that voice that probably shouldn’t be writing.

If you'd like to know more about Carl, you can visit him:

About The Night Train:


Abused at home and bullied at school, young Jayrod Nash steals away on a freight train with a vow never to return. His best friend tags along, but his heart’s not in it. They meet up with a hobo named Farley, who offers protection in exchange for obedience, and soon learn he’s running too. “The Night Train” is a novel about the struggle of innocence against brutality, written with powerful characters who allow no commentary from the author. Together they paint a picture of life as it exists too often. Carl Purdon weaves a tale that takes the reader through the full gamut of emotions, and leaves them feeling as if they have known the Nash family all their lives. Perhaps they have.

Buy The Night Train:



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...