Wednesday, May 2, 2012

I Only Need #Inspiration on Days That End In Y: Don't Put Your Instrument Down

Last night I had the pleasure of attending the local band program's spring concert. The concert ranged from elementary level to high school performances.  

At one point in the night, the high school seniors were recognized. Some of these kids are crazy talented. I mean super-crazy talented. When they were standing up in recognition that in a few weeks they will be leaving high school, and high school band behind, I was a little sad. I couldn't stop thinking, "How many of these kids will never touch their instruments again?"

In the good spots in life, when paths are clear and paved (such as in high school when you know from year to year you'll be moving to the next grade. You'll spend your weekdays in classes. You're parents will cover your medical bills, etc. etc.) it's easy to indulge passions and talents. 

But how many of us set our instruments down and walk as far away from them as humanly possible the second things get rough? How many of us travel so far from our instruments that, on the off chance we have to come back to it, we can't remember how it's played?

This post may be a bit of a downer rather than inspirational; but I once heard that if you want to have a happier life, instead of counting your blessings, subtract them. 

If I take away my writing, or those moments I indulge it, then what do I have left? 

Have you set your instrument down?

What do think about the idea of subtracting blessings rather than adding them? 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...