Wednesday, April 25, 2012

V is for Voltaire

When I say Voltaire I mean Voltaire as in Candide. This 17/18th century writer-philosopher is the father of some of my favorite quotes.

"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit atrocities."

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a  very short one, 'O' Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God  granted it."

A little bit about him:

After being exiled from France due to his writing, Voltaire came back only to again flee Paris after another uproar. Beyond his works on philosophical and moral issues, he wrote contes (“tales”), including Zadig, Micromégas and his best-known work, Candide (1759), a satire on philosophical optimism. He also took an interest in any cases of injustice, especially resulting from religious prejudice.

What is your favorite quote?  Who said it? 


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...