Monday, April 9, 2012

H is for Horror

My eight-year-old niece came up with this theme. I frickin' love that kid!

For this post, I will name some of my favorite horror movies.

A little history about me and horror movies:

"This is for that time you made me
have a tea party with Barbie!"
ew.com
The first horror movie I remember watching is Chucky. I saw this when I was like five. My mother blames this early exposure on my aunt. This mixed with A Little Princess's claim that your toys come to life when you're not looking had me convinced that if I didn't treat my toys well they'd come to life and kill me in my sleep.

Later on when my brother's had crossed into teenhood leaving me in the dust, oh the pains of being the youngest, they became obsessed with Mystery Science Theater 3000.

For those of you unfamiliar with the show, they watch old horror movies and make fun of them. Thus, my brothers and their gaggle of buddies started watching awful horror movies and mocking them.



I heart you Bruce Campbell!
esplatter.com
My mother deemed these movies inappropriate for me to watch and would bar me from the living room during such viewings. What she didn't realize is that we had a little black and white TV in the basement that was hooked up to play whatever was being shown on the upstairs television. This is how I watched Evil Dead for the first time.

In short, I started on horror films at a very young age and just kept going.

Tangent end, and back to the point. Some of my favorite horror movies...Well, I have to break down categories.

  • Ghost movies:
    • The Lady in White
      • He's not kissing the kid, he's giving him CPR. This is a movie I love from my childhood.  It came out in 1988. The acting is questionable, but I love the story. It's tragic and just spooky enough to get to you. 



  • The Changeling 
    • Another favorite from my childhood, The Changeling came out in 1980. NOT to be confused with Angelina Jolie's Changeling that came out in 2008.
      • I love the mix of mystery and horror that this film holds. To this day I love to watch it and think it's amazing. 



  • The Orphanage 
    • This film came out in 2007. It's a Spanish film done with subtitles, but don't let that distract you from how amazing it is. It has one of the spookiest movie moments in it. In my humble opinion of course. 


I just realized how incredibly long this post has the potential to be. I'm going to break it up a bit over the rest of the AtoZChallenge. I can already see using S for Slashers and Z for Zombies. My niece rocks!

What are some of your favorite horror movies?

Get the AtoZ Blog Hop HERE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...