Thursday, March 1, 2012

Books ?


A book is like a garden carried in the pocket.
- Chinese Proverb 

OK, so the saying has nothing to do with the picture. I just like both of them randomly. 

However, there are many books that I have found inspirational. 

What is it that makes a book inspiring to it's reader? I really would love your opinion on this one.

As for me, what I find inspirational in a book is something that changes my way of thinking. Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible is one such book.

What I learned from this book was to respect people's differences and cultures. There are many points this book looks to make, but this one is what really stuck with me.

The Poisonwood Bible is told from the view point of five women, the four daughters and wife, of an American preacher in the Congo during the turbulent late 1950s. 

I won't go into further detail with this book, just to say I loved it and it inspired me.

As for my favorite book, and the one that inspires me the most, that would be Mary Shelly's Frankenstein. Getting me started on that book is asking to read a tome, so I'll spare you... for now. I am rereading it for this months Books That Made  me Love Reading challenge. Beware.

What books inspire you? 

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, that quote. It explains how I feel about books so perfectly. I'm filing that in the ole memory bank.

    Sorry I'm not commenting on the meat of your post, but oh my gosh, that quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're comments are always welcome :) I really feel in love with the quote as well.

      Delete
  2. Hey! Found you on Cassie's blog :) I love Barbara Kingsolver! I'm a new follower now.
    Also, my debut novel, Oppression (Children of the Gods #1), just came out. Check it out! It's a best-selling teen Nook book: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s?view=grid&dref=5594&store=ebook&SZE=10&SRT=sa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have you. I'll be sure to check your book out.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...