Wednesday, January 4, 2012

When the WIP Taunts: Insecure Writer's Support Group

I hope everyone had an awesome holiday! Yeah, I'm that behind. 

Even though I signed on onto the Insecure Writer's Support Group a while ago, this is actually my first post. I took a couple of months off, so this is my big come back. Hurray!

Onto the actual point....

You ever have those days when your WIP is laughing at you maniacally? You're staring at it, desperately trying to make it progress,and you can't get it to budge on bit. Yes, you have.  I know I have them all the time. If you've never had those days, first off, I'd like to do you physical harm. Secondly, you're not a writer. 


jadeluckclub.com
What we as writers have to do is get past those times when even our WIP is telling us we're failures.

I've heard many people say things like, "listen to music" or "find a serene place". Yeah, how often does that really work? Combine the two and you're likely to fall asleep rather than write. My philosophy is, 

When the WIP taunts, punch it in the face!

It's kind of like Brandon Sanderson's thing about over coming writer's block. Write anyway. Only my saying sounds more bad ass. Even if you're just going to throw out what you write, even if you write something that has nothing to do with your WIP, write, write, write. 

What insecurities do you have about your writing?
How do you overcome them?
What do you do when the WIP taunts?

5 comments:

  1. Yes, my WIP mocks me until I would like it to die in a fire. But when I take a break and write something else, it's magical. I remember why I'm writing in the first place.
    Best wishes to you in 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck to you for this year as well. I hope you can beat your WIP into shape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck to you throughout the year and happy hoping :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the best saying ever! And I need that demotivational calendar. Thanks for joining the blogfest. It should be fun :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...